Layers of Love: MFT Stamps and LOTS of Fussy Cutting

Good afternoon everyone! I was sitting at my desk this morning and you know what I realized? There is a big holiday THIS WEEK and I don't have a single Valentine's Day card made...not one. I have four days to crank out a bunch of cards so I thought I'd ask if you all are ready for Heart day? Did you make your own cards or did you find some cute ones that you couldn't pass up? I'd love to see them either way!


So my first card is one that was a long time in waiting. I bought the Our Story and Magical Dragons stamp sets  from My Favorite Things about a year ago and they've been glaring me in the face since that day. I finally picked them up and set to work. I've had a card in mind since I bought them, but for some reason I just kept putting it off...I wasn't sure why until I finished coloring and realized I didn't have any of the dies! I didn't let that stop me, I'd already come too far to stop there. 


So after stamping everything and testing out my fussy cutting skills, I needed to set up the card. I knew I wanted to make her look like she's imagining what she's reading, but I had no plan of attack after that. I grabbed my Puffy Cloud edge dies from Lawn Fawn after I cut a standard A2 card front (5.25" by 4") from some scrap white cardstock and cut the clouds at an angle. I also cut some scrap pink paper to go behind the clouds and look like wallpaper. I made sure it wouldn't go up too far so I could cut out the circles. 


After the cloud was how I wanted it, I had to figure out my sentiment. I loved this one too much and it was going to be a challenge, but I took it on! I had to ink (almost) every work separately to get it lined up right and it took me a few tries, but I got it right in the end! Woohoo! 

The next step was the little peephole to see the dragon. I had a random circle die that I have no idea where it came from, but it worked perfectly. I'd guess it was about 1 3/4" or a little smaller. I used my pencil once that was cut to draw a light circle on the white cardstock under the clouds so I knew where to stamp my dragon. I then stamped the little knight in shining armor on the part of the circle I had cut out. 

Once that was finished and I colored the rest of the goodies, I set to work on putting the card together. Lots of foam dimensionals were used and I love it! Even though it took me many hours to finish, I have no regrets and I can finally say that I have one Valentine's day card made! Now to make the rest. 


I always like to look around the challenge blogs for inspiration from the challenge itself or from the beautiful creations people make. Today I found a challenge that actually works well for this card! Over at Cut It Up, the challenge was a Love themed card with three layers and one that used a die cut. It's a really creative challenge and one that puts your creative juices to the test so I definitely recommend heading over there to check it out! 

Off I go again to (hopefully) finish up those Valentine's day cards. Wish me luck! I hope you all have an absolutely amazing day and I'm sending you all warm hugs as the temperature drops. I don't know about you, but it's been snowing nonstop here in Michigan (at least 7 inches just yesterday and it continues today) and as lovely as it looks, I know some of you have to travel for work or family. Even if it's not snowing, stay safe and hopefully I'll see you around here later :) 

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. My husband would be so jealous if I told him about all your snow. Here in Virginia there has been precious little, and he's complained at least four times this weekend that all the rain we have been having should have been snow!

    Wow, what a card, Mattie! So much creativity there, starting with your concept for the card. I love how you showed what the girl is seeing as she reads comfortably in her squishy chair!

    Thanks for joining us for our Layers of Love challenge at Cut it Up!

    Evelyn
    http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are more than happy to share the load! We are getting more today even so the poor maintenance folks at my apartment complex are out again shoveling the sidewalks. There is still time so hopefully there will be some snow in your future! :)

      Thank you so very much! I'm glad you like it (I would love one of those squishy chairs to sit down in for a nice novel)! Also, thanks so much for the opportunity to join in the competition! I love getting to see all the inspiration.

      Delete
  2. This card is so creative and fun! Love this stamp set and your use is such a clever idea! So happy our challenge inspired you! Thanks for sharing with us at Cut It Up as we Layer the Love! ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate being able to participate in the challenge and seeing the other cards other crafters come up with! It's a wonderful opportunity :)

      Delete

Back
to top